Have Kristyn Crow visit your workshop event!
- Picture Book Character Workshop – We’ll discuss what makes a good picture book character, and then participate in a fun writing exercise where I will bring illustrated characters of every shape and size (I have sixty or more) and give writers the opportunity to name their characters, create a problem for them, and potentially seed the beginnings of a good story.
- Picture Book Analysis – I’ll bring a whole stack of picture books from various authors and we’ll break into groups and discuss what makes them effective (or not). Reading and analyzing picture books is a very important exercise for hopeful writers.
What your school or conference needs to provide:
- A PowerPoint projector with speakers for sound, and hook-ups for a standard PC laptop.
- A screen in a room that can get dark enough for the audience to see the images adequately.
- A microphone with a stand, or a clip-on mike.
- A table (or cart) for the projector and my laptop to rest on, with extension cords long enough to reach from that table to the outlet. (I’ll need two plugs in addition to the plug you’re using for the projector. A power strip would make things easier.)
- Staff assistance, if necessary, with crowd control.
- A glass or bottle of water. Thanks so much for this!
- As much technical set-up completed prior to my arrival as possible.
Preparations prior to my visit:
I’d love it if the audience had some familiarity with me and my books prior to my visit.
If elementary schools advertised my books beforehand using fliers or announcements, students could purchase them at the end (or in advance) of my visit. I will personally sign copies. I’ll need advance notice to order books for the visit.
I will be flexible in working with schools to determine a fee that is fair and reasonable. If I’ll be traveling some distance I’ll need those expenses covered. Please e-mail me for more information at email@example.com